Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Mango Block

A while back along my quilting journey, I joined the For the Love of Solids Swap. At the time, it was a really big deal for me - a challenge to come up with something unique, all in solid fabrics of course. After much trial and error, self-questioning, and debating, I came up with this quilt.
Completed FTLOS large project!
I have always thought of it as "Mango," since that was my partner Tina's favorite color and what started me on this palette. At the time I posted the finished quilt, I got quite a few inquiries about a pattern. But that was nowhere on my radar at the time - it was only by guess and by golly that I even got Mango put together, making it up as I went along.


But I've thought off and on since that I should at least make up a pattern for the basic block, and thanks to the efforts of my friend Marci/Marci Girl Designs, that is now a reality. Though the block is my design, Marci has created easy-to-use templates for us all. {You can find them
 here and here.}  Let me take you through construction and then I'll share a mini quilt I made to showcase the block.

Each block measures 6" finished. Start with a 7" square of both your background fabric and corner feature fabric. Right-sides together, mark a line diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. Stitch 1/4" on either side of the marked line, and then cut on the diagonal line. Press your two half-square triangle blocks, with seams open

This time around, I chose to make the center of my block in the same fabrics as the corner, with fabrics reversed. In that case, you can cut templates A and C from the same square. (If you'd like template A in another fabric, start with 4 1/2" squares and make hsts in the same way.)
Cut your block arc using template B.
Here's what you'll have for 1 block. Note that the arc is pressed in half.
If you are experienced in stitching curves, you may choose to do it without pins. But if not, start with 1 pin in the center.
Match up one edge and pin carefully. Match and pin the opposite edge, and then continue to pin with edges even. I found a couple more on each side was plenty. Stitch center triangle and arc together.
Press well. I chose to press towards the arc.
Add corner piece in a similar fashion, beginning with a single pin in the center.

Press well. 

And that's it! As a sample of how the block can be used, I made a mini quilt using 4 blocks in alternating fabrics. 
Prints are from Jeni Baker's Nordika; solids are Couture Cottons in Charcoal and Mermaid combined with Kona Snow. I find that the Couture Cottons and Art Gallery fabrics are an especially good mix texture-wise, and they both have a similar sheen. In my limited experience with both, I find them luxurious to quilt. I took this opportunity to try a few new patterns, quilting-wise. I used Aurifil 50wt Spring Green Acquarelli #4662, whose variations in color added such a visual interest that I wish you could see in person. As an added touch, I added a binding flange a la Jaybird Quilts.

I feel a little guilty, but I just had to use the Nordika panel on the back. I'm really glad I did, though, as it and the quilting compliment each other and just plain make me smile.

If you use The Mango Block in a project of your own, I'd love to have you share it in the Quilting with A Quilter's Table flickr group. And Marci! Thank you again!!

This project was listed on my FAL Q4 list. Linking up with Little Quilt MondayFabric Tuesday, and Finish It Up Friday.

30 comments:

  1. Debbie, I love Mango! That is a fabulous modern quilt block! Thank you for sharing it. I think this block needs to be published in a book! Love it in Nordika!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea as to why you would feel guilty using the panel as the backing, it is WONDERFUL!!! I love the mini so much and the quilting is fabulous! So glad I could help you with this project and it is neat seeing my templates in the photos! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this just might be the block that convinces me to try curved piecing! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the mini that you made. Teal is my favorite color. Mango is pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! The original Mango quilt will be on display this weekend at the Ninigret Quilters show in Westerly, RI. I'm editing the gallery card now to include this link to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so fun and I love that block, way more interest than just a drunker's path block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant way to cut the pieces on the HST! I am pinning this pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you took the time to put this together, it is such a dramatic and modern block. I love the mini, and the quilting is a great compliment to the block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great pattern! Well done :) Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fantastic block, Debbie. And your mini is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a big smile on my face as I sat and read your post about your Mango Block--mystery quilt, revealed! So glad to see you deft touch in color combinations and in pattern design. This is really wonderful, both in the quilt with lots of blocks and in the mini quilt, as a stand-alone.

    Bravo!!
    Elizabeth
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the tutorial on this great block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool, Debbie! Love seeing Mango in another project. And fun that Marci could help you! The quilting looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great Debbie! I love the floral fabric in the circle, and the backing is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you say you just winged it as you vere going along. Lovely result despite it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a triumph Debbie! I love the design and the possibilities for unique layouts too. I definitely want to try making one of these! Thank you for sharing your expertise with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool, love both sides of the mini!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Mango quilt and the mini are fabulous. Love
    Nordica!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this block ...a great mini quilt! This is now on my to do list...great tutorial too : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fabulous! I love it. Your quilting is great

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful quilt! I love it! The color is fantastic too. I am going to have to try one of those one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the block! Love Nordika!! Win Win.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great block design - love your mini!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you!! I love this....this might be the project to get me over my fear of curves because the payoff has potential to be greater than my fear!!! I will make this as soon as I get back in my sewing room, after the move!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never done curved piecing. Love your mango!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome Debbie! I just pinned for future reference. Thanks for sharing the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great block - thanks for the share!

    And both quilts are stunning. That Nordika print could not have been more perfect for the back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice block! I remember this quilt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for a fantastic tutorial - this one is stored for later! I love the original quilt in all the oranges!

    ReplyDelete