Thursday, November 14, 2013

All Randomy

So I transferred all my purse stuff into my new bag yesterday and loved it! I also loved my coworker's response when I asked how she liked the purse I'd just made. "YOU DID NOT!" I guess you can say I enjoy how non-sewists are so impressed with what we do. And can I just say how glad I am that I do sew? Thanks to my grandma who taught me the basics on her old black Singer. Thanks to 7th grade Home Ec back when it was mandatory, and where I was exposed to more tools and techniques of the trade. And thanks to my parents who fueled my passion by investing in a great machine that served me for the next 30 years. OK, that was a nice deja vu moment wasn't it? haha

But echoing that thought was Malka Dubrawsky/stitchindye's comment on this photo . . . I'm sure glad someone invented quilting. :)

"I'm sure glad someone invented quilting." Me too.

Anyway, it was pretty gratifying when a copy of Quilt-it...today landed in my mailbox Tuesday, and there was FAITH circle's February 2013 quilt which I had organized and finished as quilter that month.
Quilt-it...today Jan/Feb 2014
I thought it was a nice article about do.Good Stitches. And yeah, I'm honored my photo was included. Click here if you'd like to read more about the quilt, HST Love.

Sometime this week I happened on an Instagram photo of someone mass-quilting potholders out of orphan quilt blocks. Several blocks were on one big piece of batt, and she was quilting one after another. You think I could find it again to share with you? Not. I do know whoever it was said she got the idea from Quilting is more fun than housework... But in looking for it again, I did come across some other very cool potholders, check out these mighty fine potentials here at cat&vee (here's one of my faves all finished!), and then some similarly quilted trivets at the colorful My PoppetSorry I didn't find shareable pics, but it's worth a click through, and if anyone remembers the original post I'm talking about, let me know, ok?!

Also on Ig I was reminded about the cloth napkin tutorial by Made with Moxie. I've always wondered how these wash up, made with quilter's cotton and all, so I chatted with Jill to find out more. She assured me they do just fine, so I definitely want to give these a try. Two fat quarters = two napkins. Sounds like a deal, huh?


Did you see Diane/random thoughts...do or "di"'s sweet hst framed clutch this week? I loved it!
Framed Clutch
The basic pattern is in her Craftsy shop, and a tutorial for the hsts are in her blog post.

Pat Sloan posted on facebook recently: "BIG STITCH - Do you do big stitch quilting? I love how [she] is using thread color to match the chevron, clever and effective! Tell me ..have you tried big stitch quilting? want to? I have an idea in mind for a little sew along.. leave me a comment if YOU want to try big stitch quilting. I generally use Aurifil Quilt Patchwork and Embroidery Threads 12 wt for my big stitching." (The photo shown wasn't shareable either, so here's a fine example from Ariane/arianecrafts.) 
DSCF5751
Anyway, I'm curious what Pat has up her sleeve! Considering my hand quilting always looked "big stitch" to me, I'd probably be a natural!

And I'm wondering about quilt labels - do you use them? Here's what mine look like (my name is on the flip-side). 
I'm running low and am considering trying something new. I'd love to hear/see what you use, especially pre-printed ones like this.

OK, I'm randomed out, so I think I'll stop here and . . . link up with Random Thursday . . . Have a good day!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, Im so loving the look of big stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I can sew. In my super huge family I'm the only one so I am a rock star no matter what !! I am thankful for Home Ec as well, but also for a tailoring class that I took in high school. Everything I know about sewing came from that..,the quilting I taught myself. I'm curious about the "big stitch"!! I have used sewing labels in the past but nothing special. I've been thinking about getting them since I really need to start signing my quilts. Can you recommend a source?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried big stitch and I really liked the results. If you have an idea for a QAL I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great ideas and thoughts in this post. I need some napkins, thank you for the reminder as to how easy they are and I really need some labels. So I am hoping you will share what you learn about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lots of randomness here -- but I want to know about the labels. where do you get yours printed? how big are they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoy your posts- such diversity keeps them very interesting and informative! I would love to give big stitch quilting a try! I am relatively new to modern quilting but have been sewing and hand stitching since I was a young girl. I am also interested in learning more about printed labels. I have been paper piecing and hand stitching mine so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you reached out. I'm always happy to share. Also I love those quilter big stitches. I just saw a bed cover at Nordstrom that was all big stitches. Too big really, because they were pulling, but I really liked the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a quilt that I quilted but dont like the backing I could probably use some big stitches for it and bind it.. plus the back got a stain on it from use, Yes, he uses it without binding..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to see all these random items, and to have them all collated into one post. I think we definitely need some good ideas of what to do for all those little gift things we have during the holidays and many of these fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great random Debbie. I would think that if I was going to make napkins that I would prewash the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome random post. I also turn orphan blocks into potholders and I make lots of test blocks into potholders. If I don't want to make a whole quilt, a potholder is a fast way to go. I liked the tip (followed one of the links) about not quilting through the insul-brite. Yes, I use labels purchased on etsy. They come on a roll with my name and the year. My husband was very strong in his opinion that I needed to put the year on it. I think it's Di from Random Do or Di that puts the washing instructions on her labels. I think that's brilliant. I'm anxious to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the big stitch quilting. It looks very homey

    ReplyDelete
  13. where did you get the labels you use now? I need some new ones too. Let me know what else you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your current labels are exactly what I'm looking for - where did you get them? And trips down memory lane are good - I'm using my Gran's 1980s sewing machine while mine is being serviced!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the big stitch quilting too and your labels are great - I always forget to put one of mine on when I make things anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie, still loving your random posts! Congrats on the feature!
    I love my quilt labels - they look a lot like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great links Deb. I'm inspired.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I rarely use labels. Can't seem to remember : )
    I picked up that magazine today. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your random posts! I would love a big stitch project! I do use labels, purchased on Etsy if I had to do over I think I would have left off the design and just went with the lettering. I will post one on IG for you. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Doubling up on your randoms - so excited to see BOTH your quilts in print! (Even if one is a bee quilt.)
    And I didn't get the idea from online, but I have a stack of table runners and orphan blocks-to-be-potholders that I plan on quilting all at once in the near future. Just getting some muslin and slapping them all on the long arm at once. Woo, finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please share where you end up getting your labels. It's something I've needed to do for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice round up! I always forget to label o.O

    ReplyDelete