Monday, December 30, 2013

Snapshots

July 6, 2012. I remember clearly the day this quilt began. I had seen Karen/CapitolaQuilter's post on Polaroid blocks a few days before and was quite smitten with them. But realizing my stash didn't really have the fabric needed for a good variety of Polaroids, I did what any of you might have done, I'm sure. I started the *Picture-Perfect* Polaroid Block Swap! Just two months later, the swap came to a close after 114 swappers from all over the world swapped 3293(!) blocks, and in the end, I had 205 precious ones in my possession.

And they sat. You know how it goes. Sad but true. Finally, in May of this year, I hatched a plan. I asked the members of my Always Bee Learning bee to help me out. I sent them each 9 Polaroid blocks + 2 1/2" strips of at least three black or black & white fabrics. I asked that they 'frame' each Polaroid block and then create one large block with them all. 
My sample measured 18 1/2" square, but I gave them free reign to do whatever they wanted with what I sent.

In July of this year, a year after I started the block swap, I put my Polaroid quilt on my Q3 Finish-A-Long list. Obviously I didn't make it that round, so I'm more than pleased that I managed it in Q4. Backed with the bright and bold Mod Century by Jenn Ski, I quilted a square meander around the Polaroids that unfortunately/fortunately you can barely see. Let's just say I'm still perfecting that technique. For binding I found the perfect tomato red that coordinates with the backing yet contrasts nicely with the blocks.
Hubby was kind enough to photograph "Snapshots" while I was at work today, and in his mind, this is a "postcards" quilt, thus all the travel books in this carefully composed shot. smile 
And considering these blocks came from all over, that really isn't far from the truth.
You can see my bee-mates were also creative in their block designs, and I was pleased how I managed to have a 'unique' block in each row. If you're a counter like me, you'll have figured out already that I haven't used all my Polaroids yet. But for my final finish of a terrific year, this one's picture-perfect!

This quilt was on my Q4 Finish-A-Long List! Also linking up with Finish it Up Friday.

27 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. The journey to the finished quilt was so wonderful to read about. I love the way you finished the quilt top. Your hubs is a real peach, I love his photo idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun . . . love the black and white with little pops of color. Can you believe I haven't made a single polaroid block?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool. Nice of hubby to help you out : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! When I saw this pop up on IG I couldn't remember if you'd made a Polaroid quilt before. More to come, I'm sure! Love your husband's photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun quilt. And I love the backing and binding, such fun choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you were able to finish it this year. It looks wonderful, the red binding is a perfect choice and really completes the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful! It really looks that there are fotos. This is so nice idea that I have to try. I like the backing and binding as well. A good idea to photograph this quilt with travel guides!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, bless on the travel books :oD It looks great anyway, polaroids or postcards ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done all....even you dear hubby. I love the 'whole' collegiate spirit of this quilt from beginning to end. Well done Debbie, I know this quilt will make you smile every time you look at it, use it, pop it away for a bit...it's precious! Take care, happy new year, talk again soon. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really nice! In my "next life" I'm actually going to have time for the fun stuff like this. I am so envious. Your posts are so enjoyable and inspirational. I look forward to them. Thanks! Great hubby too! He must be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has to be my favourite polaroid qult - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks amazing! I love how each block is different and how you arranged the whole thing. Great, great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great finish! My blocks are still sitting in a bag in my cabinet. But I love the B&W border on these, something to think about for when I am ready to finish mine. Congrats on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the unique blocks create negative space to let your eye rest. Thanks again for hosting the swap. It was a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember when you started this. What a great project it turned out to be. Love the black and white fabric with the red binding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt turned out beautifully! I love the black and white backgrounds...your postcards pop out with their colors!
    (and how sweet of your husband to take those pretty photos, with props!)

    You have made soooo many beautiful projects in 2013! I look forward to seeing your creativity in the coming year!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is stunning - the blocks I got from the swap are sitting just like yours were, but I keep thinking what a great quilt it will for Baby when she gets a bit older.... so I'll be back looking for inspiration. The red binding is the perfect finishing touch! Congrats on a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great idea - I hadn't seen this before! Ingenious to share it with your Bee friends!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a terrific finish and what a sweet husband/photographer you have.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you finally finished it. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  21. of course I read this after I posted on flickr earlier! Nice finish Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an amazing quilt! Even more so because of the blocks from bee friends! Some of those fussy cuts are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilt turned out so cool. I love the blacks and greys in them! That hubby did a great job on his photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on how this all came together! A great story about how a plan, some bee friends and a talented photographer can contribute to a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely quilt. The Polaroid blocks are a really good idea and as so many helped to put it together the variety of style make it a true eclectic beauty. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete