Thursday, June 12, 2014

Random It Is

Just a few random things to share today . . . 

The first up, which I unfortunately don't have a photo of, was that I was asked to share last night at our guild meeting about my matched binding techniques. Speaking in front of people isn't in my comfort zone, but I did it. It was late, we were all anxious to get to "sew & tell," but I did it. Thankfully I had a few small samples to share - my first try, Scrap-Vee, and Red Hots. Plus, the quilts that had been displayed at Seattle's Folklife Festival were back, so I was able to share Aurora. I do find that I speed-talk when I talk about my quilting, but there were quite a few nods in the crowd as I was presenting, so I think it went pretty well considering everything. 

What I've been working on lately is a mini quilt along with Quilt Jane - the Nested Churn Dash QAL. Actually, I'm waffling back and forth about whether it'll be a quilt or a pillow. I'm also very indecisive about the quilting, which I've started twice and taken a seam ripper to. So . . . stay tuned. But I love the pattern, and what I have so far. And I'm really enjoying seeing what others are doing with the pattern too.

Speaking of quilting, THIS is the latest pin to my fmq + wf etc. board on Pinterest. (Short hand for free-motion quilting + walking foot etc.) Isn't it fun? I don't think I'm ready to tackle it, but I sure do aspire to it!
Free Motion Quilt, Step-by-Step Tutorial, Ribbon Candy

Also, over on Sew, Mama, Sew this month, Jessica Skultety from Quilty Habit has curated the My Favorite Quilt series. Every day, a new quilter shares their own favorite quilt! It's similar but different to my own 31 Inspiring Quilters back in January, and there's a twist! You can link up your own favorite quilt! So check that out - I'm sure you'll enjoy the series. Start with today's post!

So that's it for now. Off to work I go! Hope you have a terrific day!

Linking up with Really Random Thursday.

12 comments:

  1. I love your nested churn dash block! I recently just came across them, they look so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you're speech went well - it's always a pleasure to hear people talking when they are good at what they are talking about :) great dash turn block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the talk went fine, and love the nested churns. I might have a t in the second half of that board name too... *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your churn dash is just fabulous!
    I've been thinking about making this one too, but haven't gotten farther than pulling fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful things here. I am really interested in doing the nested churn dash--it is such a great block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is seriously making me want to join this QAL. Thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is fun to see all the different churns coming along. I'm sure your lesson went fine. Most people forget that you can see them as you're talking so they dont remember its nice to have a reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've thought about doing the nested churn dash, but been denying myself the opportunity - too many other projects that REALLY NEED to be addressed. I did enjoy seeing your block though. I love your fabric choices. Keep it going. I'm fascinated. I'll live vicariously through you on this one. Yeah, that'l work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your talk was wonderful! I may even try some matched binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nested churn dash is perfect, Debbie! I have the pattern, bur haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking cushions for me! Don't you just love Lori Kennedy's FMQ tutorials!! She is amazing and they all look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love your "Random" posts Debbie...always something new to learn ;o) That ribbon candy quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete